Fall Must-Reads

You may have noticed that I haven't posted on a novel in a number of days; I've been busy, but hopefully I can carve some time out of this weekend to get at least one done.

More depressing than not reading the books I meant to have read already by this time, I am reminded by the Michiko Kakutani/Sunday Book Review double coverage of Denis Johnson's upcoming Tree of Smoke that there are a number of books coming out this fall which I will be wanting to read as soon as I can fit them in. Besides Tree of Smoke, there's

Junot Díaz's The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Philip Roth's Exit Ghost, (supposedly) the last Zuckerman novel
Charles Taylor, The Secular Age
A collection of John Updike's critical essays, Due Consideration: Essays and Criticism
Newly appointed MTVu Poet Laureate (seriously) John Ashbery's Notes from the Air: Selected Later Poems
Peter Gay's Modernism: The Lure of Heresy - From Baudelaire to Beckett and Beyond
The second volume of Paris Review interviews
Pablo Neruda, I Explain a Few Things—poems selected and edited by Ilan Stavans
Edward Docx, Self-Help (doesn't seem to have a release date yet, and perhaps not even an American publisher, but I'm very eager to read it based on some of the British reviews)

The non-fiction looks very interesting, although I probably won't find the time to read it. But the novels and the poetry, hopefully, I'll be able to get to.

Comments

Popular Posts