Impertinent Question 2: John Cassavetes and Faces

john cassavetes faces lynn carlinWatched John Cassavetes' Faces last night. Loved it. But I couldn't help thinking, how much of the script was dictated by the fact that Cassavetes had shitty recording equipment? I mean, a solid 85% of the film's lines are delivered at havoc-level volume, which meant that I caught about 78% of the dialogue (I have a crappy television). Now, if Cassavetes were, proleptically, a mumblecore filmmaker, would this film even have been possible? Not a chance.

I don't mean to say that Cassavetes is unique in having to adapt to the technical constraints of filmmaking, but I do find it interesting how singularly determining this one aspect of filming might have been on the development of the story, the characters, and the acting.

Comments

Popular Posts