Criterion

The Criterion Collection blog asks for your top twenty favorite Criterion releases. Because I've been bogged down trying to move my stuff from one apartment to another (a process not likely to end soon, or at least not soon enough), here's some cheaply produced content: rather than a top twenty favorite releases, here are twenty I wish Criterion would release—most are, I have found, unavailable on DVD:1
  1. The Crime of Monsieur Lange (Renoir, 1936)
  2. A Brighter Summer Day (Yang, 1991)
  3. Life of Oharu (Mizoguchi, 1952)
  4. Apu Trilogy (Ray, 1955, 1956, 1959)
  5. Mad Men (Weiner, 2007- )2
  6. The Red Desert (Antonioni, 1964) (Finally! releasing in June 2010)
  7. The Dead (Huston, 1987)
  8. Paisan (Rossellini, 1946)3 (releasing in Jan. 2010)
  9. Tristana (Buñuel, 1970)
  10. Fat City (Huston, 1972)
  11. Chimes at Midnight (Welles, 1965)
  12. Two English Girls (Truffaut, 1971)
  13. Tom Jones (Richardson, 1963)
  14. The Go-Between (Losey, 1970)
  15. Senso (Visconti, 1954)
  16. The Crowd (Vidor, 1928)
  17. Distant Voices, Still Lives (Davies, 1988)
  18. A Moment of Innocence (Makhmalbaf, 1996)
  19. The Traveling Players (Angelopoulos, 1975)
  20. To Sleep with Anger (Burnett, 1990)
  21. The Criminal Life of Archibald Cruz (Buñuel, 1955)
Okay, you got a bonus one. What are some titles you'd like to see?

1 Yes, I know that there are numerous threads in various fora for these kind of geeked-out lists. But I don't want to contribute, just to pontificate.
2 Obviously available on DVD, but can you imagine how many sad young literary men would squeal with glee if this merger were to happen?
3 I had to watch this with Spanish subtitles. Since this film is about Americans and Italians often failing to speak to one another because they can only speak their own languages, this produced an amusing exercise.

Update: Evidently Lionsgate is releasing The Dead on DVD, but its cover makes me wish they weren't. Why couldn't they have just waited for Criterion to get around to it?

Comments

Nick said…
I never understood what people saw in Charles Burnett. I'd love to read your thoughts on him.

For my part, I'll be on the lookout for a book that's speciously linked to him that you can use as a jumping off point.
Mark Athitakis said…
I've been hoping for a Criterion release of Sam Fuller's "Park Row" for ages now.
Tom Elrod said…
I'll second Chimes at Midnight. I ordered a DVD from Spain some time ago, and it's very, very good. I'd say it's one of the best Shakespeare adaptations on film, actually, so it should really be restored and given a wider audience.

Popular Posts