Tournament of Books 2010

I've been asked to contribute a statistics column to this year's 2010 Tournament of Books, and my first column is up on the site today.

If you don't know about the Tournament of Books, it's a yearly event run by The Morning News featuring 16 books from the last year placed in a competition modeled on the NCAA Basketball Tournaments: brackets, seeding, etc. As I say in the column, "I’ll be weighing in after each round of play during the Tournament of Books to break down what’s happened so far, who’s left in the field, and how the upcoming round has played out in the past. Where and when may upsets occur? Which books are legitimate contenders and who are the dangerous underdogs?"

I've enjoyed following this Tournament every year in the past, and it's very exciting to be a part of it now. It's a really fun gig, especially since I get to spend a lot of time with Excel, which is oddly a nice break from classwork this term. Enjoy!

Comments

Kerry said…
I enjoyed your article and look forward to your further analysis. Logicomix creates an entirely new category, so it will be interesting to watch. Unfortunately, it is matched with Wolf Hall, so the first round looks pretty daunting.

I am hosting a giveaway related to the Tournament of Books over at my blog. Given your statistical bent, you may want to enter the pool. Of course, if you already have inside info on winners, you should abstain. But if not, hurry over and put in an entry.

See you at the TOB!

Popular Posts