An Unexpected Confluence Between Emerson and The Wire

I'm reading Louis Menand's The Metaphysical Club now, and I just ran across these lines:
[I]t is clear that [Oliver Wendell] Holmes [Jr.] had adopted [Ralph Waldo] Emerson as his special inspiration. A few years later, he wrote an essay on Plato expressly for Emerson's approval. (Holmes found Plato outdated on one or two points. Emerson's reaction, when Holmes showed him the essay, is choice: "When you strike at a king," he said, "you must kill him.")
Remind you of anything?

Comments

Anonymous said…
It's great that you caught that! I really love The Wire and here's another reason why that series is fantastic.
Anonymous said…
I was just writing a paper on Holmes and noticed the same thing. Nice to find it referenced online.

Popular Posts